>CHAPELLE DES JESUITES
CHAPELLE DES JESUITES
null : Cultural attractions
Embed this item to access it offline
The first stone of the chapel will be laid in 1640 and the building consecrated on February 13, 1667 by the Bishops of Mirepoix, Lodève and Mende. It is an integral part of the Jesuit College which will undergo transformations over the years, before being used as a "Museum" by Jacques Gamelin, painter and professor at the Ecole Centrale Audoise who makes it a place of exhibition. of paintings. For decades, this chapel fell into oblivion and was in a state of disrepair and regrettable abandonment, until the year 2000 when it was restored and returned to a new cultural life. This chapel has been remarkably restored in its Baroque elements (arched ceilings with geometric coffers, galleries and balustrades, painted altarpiece of the choir), octagonal bell tower and portal (1720). It regularly hosts classical concerts as part of the Jean-Alary theater program.
Rue des Etudes